The Macho Minute is about my dog Macho, a chihuahua I rescued in January of 2010. Macho was rescued from a house in Dearborn, MI where 100+ other Chihuahuas were found alive and another 150+ were found dead amongst garbage piled from floor to ceiling. Due to these living conditions, Macho is very timid at all times. I created the Macho Minute to share Macho's stories and progress, as well as my joy of rescuing a dog who needs extra love and care.



Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Macho's First Vet Visit!

Today was the day that I have been fearing for quite some time. I knew that Macho would need to see a vet sometime soon as he hasn't been checked out since his rescue in 2009. I thought it was going to be awful, and all morning I had a knot in my stomach just thinking about how terrified he was going to be.

Our dog trainer recommended a vet that comes to your home, so I decided to give it a shot. I told the vet on the phone that Macho is very timid and that this might n
ot be a pleasant visit. We were all surprised when Macho was as calm as he was. He hopped up on the couch, let the vet and her assistant pet him, and didn't even flinch while he was getting his body check. As the vet lined up three vaccines, I got more nervous, but Macho just sat there and let her give all three without a fight. We also asked for some kind of drug that we can give him when we know he will be stressed out (going to the vet, getting his nails clipped, etc.). In order to give him the drug, they have to do a blood test. Once again, Macho just sat there and let her take a vile of blood! I was in shock, I couldn't believe it was that easy.

Of course he had a little moment when he saw the nail clippers. She tried to clip one of his nails and he ran away. That didn't surprise me, I know that he hates it. Hopefully he is healthy enough to take the pills so that we can get them done soon! Maybe I should just clip them now, as this is how he is sleeping right next to me right now. I guess the vet and vaccinations made him sleepy :)

2 comments:

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

what a precious puppy and I am sooooooooo happy to meet you!
I remember the story being on the news about the house with a lot of chihuahuas!
I live in Farmington Hills...I saw your comment on the Pet Blogger's website and decided to check out your blog (which I am now following!!)
I just left her a message to contact Karen Workman from The Oakland Press (she is a reporter, a part pit bull owner and has a blog called The Dog Blog)
I just emailed her....my blog is also "housed" by the Oakland Press...my blog is Cat Chat http://opcatchat.blogspot.com I hope you will check it out and tell any cat lovers you know about it!

Unknown said...

What? A vet that comes to your house? I want in on that!