The Macho Minute is about my dog Macho, a chihuahua I rescued in January of 2010. Macho was rescued from a house in Dearborn, MI where 100+ other Chihuahuas were found alive and another 150+ were found dead amongst garbage piled from floor to ceiling. Due to these living conditions, Macho is very timid at all times. I created the Macho Minute to share Macho's stories and progress, as well as my joy of rescuing a dog who needs extra love and care.



Friday, August 26, 2011

We Are Moving!

It's finally time for us to get out of apartments and move into a house! It's been a very long process, but we're excited to finally have our own space.

We're not moving too far, actually less than 2 miles from where we live now. But we will be off the busy road we live on and more in a neighborhood. We've been looking for a very long time, and almost 2 months ago we found a house that would be perfect for us. It especially includes a backyard with a beautiful privacy fence. Perfect for a little pooch we like to call Macho!

It's been a stressful week packing everything up, and I can tell that Macho is confused. I'm trying to make the move as easy as possible for him. We are packing a truck with all of our things on Sunday, then we are moving everything into the house on Monday. We decided that it might be too stressful to have Macho at home, so we are taking him to my parents' house overnight. Then we will be bringing him to the new house for the first time! I think he will like it even though it will be something he will have to get used to.

This leads me to some questions- What can I do to make the move easier on Macho? Is there anything I should do when bringing him into the house for the first time? Have you ever moved a dog who marked into a new home? I'm really concerned that Macho will go crazy peeing all over the house to mark it. He doesn't do this anymore, but I am wondering if he will start again in a new space. The previous owners did not have any animals, so there shouldn't be any scents in the house, but it still worries me. Any advice would be great!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your new home! Sorry, I have no advice to offer. Whenever we have moved, the dogs have had no problems, but our kitties are another story :) Hope everything goes well & that Macho is enjoying his new yard in no time.

Oskar said...

I wish I could help you, but my people have never had to deal with this.

Congratulations on your new house & I hope you have a smooth move!

Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar

The Daily Pip said...

Congratulations! We are going to be moving in a few months as well. My only advice is to keep Macho close to you, give him lots of extra love, and try to keep him away from the stress of seeing the movers arrive, etc. Also, keep him in a crate or on a leash during the move. So many animals get lots during moves - or take off because they are freaked out. Same thing when you get to your new house.

Your pal, Pip