The Macho Minute is about my dog Macho, a chihuahua I rescued in January of 2010. Macho was rescued from a house in Dearborn, MI where 100+ other Chihuahuas were found alive and another 150+ were found dead amongst garbage piled from floor to ceiling. Due to these living conditions, Macho is very timid at all times. I created the Macho Minute to share Macho's stories and progress, as well as my joy of rescuing a dog who needs extra love and care.



Monday, August 8, 2011

Why Doesn't Macho Bark? +Video

Since Macho's last post wasn't such a great one, we wanted to update to say that Macho is doing great! He was fine once the weekend was over, which made me really happy. No more people food for Macho! Ok, that's a lie, I still sneak some to him. But it's not as much as I was feeding him, and it's food that I know he is able to eat. I checked to make sure he is still allowed to have french fries, as they are his favorite. Luckily it was on the list of safe foods, and a baked potato was actually suggested as a once in a while treat.

Anyway, this weekend while Macho was sleeping on the couch, he started barking in his sleep! We have only head Macho bark twice since we've had him, so this was a rare occurrence! However, it makes me curious as to why he doesn't bark. Is it common for rescue dogs to not bark? I know that it is common for a scared dog to not bark, but once he/she is comfortable in their environment, don't they begin barking?

Believe me, I am thankful that Macho doesn't bark all the time. But to hear him every once in a while would be nice. When he is scared, he runs to a safe spot. I guess this must be his way to protect himself instead of barking? But don't all dogs bark eventually? I've never heard of a dog that never barks. It's almost like a cat!

I leave you with a little video of Macho doing some damage to a bully stick this weekend!

6 comments:

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

Macho is adorable! I love that I could hear the sounds he was making as he ate that lol.

I am so happy he is ok too! Thanks for the info about the baked potato I may have to try that with Dakota one day!

OMG count your lucky stars that Macho is NOT a barker! OMG! I will gladly send Dakota over to give him lessons. Dakota barks SO MUCH that we call him "Bob Barker"

Nicole and Macho said...

I love the nickname Bob Barker! I definitely don't want Macho to bark a lot, especially since it's a stereotype that all small dogs are yippy. But I really want him to have a voice every once in a while.

The Daily Pip said...

French fries are a personal favorite of mine! I didn't bark much at first either, but I have made up for it in the last few years. Enjoy the silence while it lasts!

Your pal, Pip

Stewey said...

Macho - you are soooo cute!
Stewey

Nicole and Macho said...

Thanks Stewey! We're following you now too :)

Dog Foster Mom said...

I haven't run into too many dogs that don't bark, but all I can say is Enjoy It! :-) Bunny, my puppy mill foster Bichon, didn't bark at first, but she does bark now. After a few weeks she started barking at the cats. Now she barks for other reasons too. I miss the days she never barked! :-)